[NTLUG:Discuss] how do I run two instances of named?

MadHat madhat at unspecific.com
Fri Aug 11 10:49:04 CDT 2000

Randall Gibson wrote:

>         You can find which services are bound to which port in
> /etc/services/ You can find the actual service commands / setup in
> /etc/inetd.conf
>         While in /etc/inetd.conf , you may want to comment out all lines
> that have services you dont want/need, even if you dont have them
> installed. Also you need to "killall -HUP inetd" once done to have it
> re-read the configuration files you have setup.

You are partially correct.  The only services listed in inetd.conf are
the ones handled by inetd.  There are hundreds of daemons that can not
be run/managed by inetd.  named is normally not run from inetd, it is a
stand alone daemon.    Remember that inetd is only a manager for
services designed to use it.  It waits for the request on the port and
then starts the daemon that is has assigned to that port.  The DB is
uses is thee /etc/inetd.conf, but in /etc/inetd.conf it uses the names
(usually) like ftp, thye the file /etc/services is  used to translate
from that name to port number, ftp tcp/21