[NTLUG:Discuss] Newsforge article about Suits and Linux

Rick Cook rcook at ntlug.org
Wed Feb 21 23:01:56 CST 2001

On Wednesday 21 February 2001 22:31, you wrote:
> I did the GNU/Linux myself!  RMS would be proud!
> I do agree with RMS in that "outsiders" are somewhat unaware
> of the dependency on GNU software for Linux.

I use "Debian GNU/Linux" at work and at home myself...

I also use GNU stuff on other OSs like Solaris and IRIX (for longer than I
have been using Linux). I usually have the gcc suite, emacs, fileutils,
binutils, bash, diffutils, a2ps, gnuplot, etc. available on all the ?nix
platforms I use. That doesn't make them GNU/Solaris or GNU/IRIX

I have also compiled X11 for non-Linux platforms (notably Solaris 2.5.x) so
that I could have a "consistent X environment" between platforms. That didn't
make it GNU/Solaris/X11.

Note: I am not disagreeing with rms's stance about the importance of the FSF
tools identified as GNU, I am arguing about the adding of GNU as part of the
name Linux. After all, Debian is now > 4000 packages. Much less than half of
those are from the FSF (of course, only a couple make up the Linux kernel).

> Don't worry... to us penguins.... it's still Linux.

Agreed.

Rick
rcook at ntlug.org
rcook at hex.net