[NTLUG:Discuss] kernel updates...resolved-thanks

Richard Geoffrion richard at rain.lewisville.tx.us
Sat Mar 24 00:37:37 CST 2001

it's done -- SHE LIVES!!!

I don't know how I did it actually.   I did go all the way back to a make
mrproper.   The first time I did a make bzImage, it aborted with an Error 1,
and some Error 2's in the char dir.  I turned off the UNIX98 PTY support and
restarted make bzImage.  It completed but after a make modules
modules_install, a lilo edit and a reboot it STILL didn't load my nic
modules.  I compiled the nic modules INTO the kernel and that got the nics
up and running.  I decided to try and apply the previously mentioned stealth
kernel patch and got some wild notion that maybe if I compiled the nics as
modules while using the 2.2.18 kernel  it would work better.  I mv'ed my
/lib/modules/2.2.18 directory to 2.2.18.bak  re-make'ed bzImage, modules and
modules_install  and things seem to be up and running.  I activated the
stealth kernel patch and saw the results after an nmap.

So.....I don't know what did it, but I seem to be running.  running depmod
only gives me one "unresolved symbol" error on the misc/ftape.o module

oh well.  I'll see if I can do this kernel upgrade on a new server this
weekend.  Maybe it will go smoother.