[NTLUG:Discuss] attn: newbies!

kbrannen@gte.net kbrannen at gte.net
Tue Apr 10 00:25:29 CDT 2001

acmarable wrote:

> You certainly have some good ideas there, thanks to everyone for their
> input.
> Being a newbie myself I don't or rather have not worked with Unix at all.
> However I  have on occasion after reading a Linux book noticed very little
> in
> the way of "How" to do something specific.  Without sounding redundant if
> this
> was already brought up I ask of you the following:
>
> ...  With that said would it be much trouble to put a page
> or two
> out there on how to edit files through the command line or update rmp's or
> whatever.  If there is something of this nature on our sites already then
> someone
> point them out to me.  Thanks in advance.

If no one has pointed out /usr/doc/howto, I'd suggest you check out the
contents of that directory (or what's underneath it, it may also be at
/usr/share/doc/howto depending on your distro).  There's a wealth of info
there.  You'll find [my 2] favorites such as Net-HOWTO.gz and
/usr/doc/howto/en/Ethernet-HOWTO.gz, which are invaluable to me when I have
network issues.  Also check the dir "mini" underneath there.  You can view
them with "less", e.g.:
	less /usr/doc/howto/en/RPM-HOWTO.gz
I have made the assumption those docs were installed on your machine.  They'd
be found in the "doc" set of your distro CD (by set I mean the package set
name).

HTH,
Kevin