[NTLUG:Discuss] Real dangers of CR2

Rick Cook rcook at ntlug.org
Fri Aug 10 21:26:09 CDT 2001

On Friday 10 August 2001 18:03, David Neeley wrote:

> A manufacturer of a computer OS might in fact be found grossly negligent in
> releasing a product that is defective based upon a standard of reasonable
> fitness for purpose.

Something to add into this mix...

You are not the owner of your Microsoft software product (assuming you have
any in your possession). Microsoft is the owner. You are only a "licensee".
If you are operating within the bounds of the EULA, I would guess that means
you have the permission of the owner to use their product for its intended
purpose.

Does that mean anyone is likely to be able to sue Microsoft for the
"negligent" action of one instance (or even thousands of instances) of their
licenseed product? Probably not. Having 10s of Billions of dollars in the
bank seems to be a deterent to liability judgments.

Rick
rcook at ntlug.org
rcook at hex.net