[NTLUG:Discuss] @home port blocking?

cbbrowne@hex.net cbbrowne at hex.net
Mon Aug 20 16:07:30 CDT 2001

> Reminds me of a time when a sys admin I worked for decided
> to secure the system by taking read permissions off of
> /etc/passwd (I left the company shortly thereafter).

.. Reminds me of a Novell administrator who decided that it would be wonderful
and more secure if nobody were allowed to delete files.  Making the ludicrous
assumption that Novell's "update" was the same thing as everyone else's.

I wound up showing this in-duh-vidual that various programs would "update"
file by deleting and then saving a new document under the same name.  (Notably
Lotus 123, which dates this, somewhat...)

That isn't as brutally stupid as chmod o-r /etc/password,
though...