[NTLUG:Discuss] ext2fs problem

Shane Allen shane at tacni.net
Tue Aug 28 18:25:54 CDT 2001

Below is the output of two commands. Where I am stuck currently is that I am not terribly familiar with the filesystems... It's not something I've ever spent much time learning.

Do any of you have any sage advice for how I can go about repairing the drive (array)? Also, if you have a suggestion, what do you think the chances are that the suggestion will work, and what do you think the chances are that it will leave the drive unrecoverable? I don't expect perfect guesses here, obviously. TIA

[root at enterprise /root]# df -H
/dev/hda1             255M   71M  170M  30% /
/dev/hda5             1.0G   12M  972M   2% /home
/dev/hda8             255M   19k  241M   1% /tmp
/dev/hda9             3.5G  2.2G  1.1G  66% /usr
/dev/hda7             510M   72M  411M  15% /var
/dev/sda              236G  190G   34G  85% /files

[root at enterprise /root]# fsck /files
Parallelizing fsck version 1.19 (13-Jul-2000)
e2fsck 1.19, 13-Jul-2000 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
fsck.ext2: Input/output error while trying to open /files

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

--
Shane Allen <shane at tacni.net>