[NTLUG:Discuss] CUPS vs. LPRng

Mark Bickel eusmb at exu.ericsson.se
Fri Sep 7 13:32:41 CDT 2001

For the last 5 years Caldera has been my primary distro for personal use.
While I've installed and configured RedHat/Mandrake, Debian, Slackware,
TurboLinux and SuSE, I've been quite pleased with the LPRng that Caldera
installs as the default printing system. Now that I've decided to switch
to SuSE as my primary distro I notice that SuSE 7.2 installs CUPS by
default.

I'm interested in any comments, tips, comparisons from NTLUGers who have
experience using and configuring both printing systems. Any quirks that
relate to SAMBA printer sharing, postscript capable printers, drivers or
filters would be of special interest.

FYI I have two printers: (1) Brother HL-660 B&W laser w/ postscript engine
(2) HP G85xi color inkjet printer/scanner/copier/fax

TIA!

Mark.Bickel at ericsson.com