[NTLUG:Discuss] Laptop Redhat 7.1

Mike Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 18:06:38 CDT 2001

I remember reading that (init 5 to restart X) in
caldera openlinux 1.2 manuals.

However on SuSE 6x/7x, Mandrake 7x/8x, and Caldera 2x:

  runmode 0 = halt
  runmode 1 = single user
  runmode 2 = console only multiuser
  runmode 3 = XDM/KDM login
  runmode 6 = reboot

I haven't searched or worried about why really, I just
noticed on boot up that Mandrake 7 was starting
runmode 3 instead of 5... and that trend was repeated
on other distros.   I thought this was some
compatibility or security thing, and didn't worry
about it. (NFS as a runmode is a security risk?)

The reason I recommend runmode 2 over runmode 1 when
doing configurations is that you have a second shell
to kill stuff if your hardware hangs the shell.

Anyone know the reason?  (it's probably a BSD vs. Sys
V roots issue)