[NTLUG:Discuss] Linux install over network

Mark Bickel eusmb at exu.ericsson.se
Tue Mar 26 16:20:55 CST 2002

Cody wrote:
> I have downloaded the complete distro from the web (about 5gb) to a
> PC(WinNT). I created a share to install from.
>
> I created the floppies(boot & network modules). I use the boot disk to start
> the install and switch to the network disk to load the network
> drivers(3C595-TX). When asked about the install I choose NFS. After entering
> the requested IP addresses I get an error "Unknown Error" and the mount
> fails.
> I am on an NT domain network if this makes any difference.

NT filesystem "shares" are not NFS; they are SMB (Server Message Block) shares.
It is possible to install and configure NFS for NT, but NFS is not the default
network file sharing protocol for microsoft OS - SMB is. Samba allows Linux to
access SMB shares - once Linux + Samba are installed and properly configured.

/Mark