[NTLUG:Discuss] Using icc

Jason Ferguson jferg3 at swbell.net
Sun Mar 31 18:13:32 CST 2002

Is anyone here experienced with using Intel's icc compiler? I've
recently downloaded the free version and started playing with it and
have been impressed. Example:

A "normal" (aka gcc) build of the LAME encoder would encode a particular
wav file to mp3 in about 124 seconds. When I recompiled the package with
icc (and some optimization flags, see below), that same encode process
dropped to 84 seconds.

I have a question, however:

I used the following options:

-O2 - generic optimization
-tpp6 - build for i686
-xiMK - generate specialized code which creates code for Pentium Pro and
higher processors (i), uses MMX instructions (M), and supports streaming
SIMD instructions (K).
-unroll - unrolls loops

Anyone have any suggestions on further optimizations that might be good
to use?

Jason