[NTLUG:Discuss] xcdroast

mike Just_Mike_Y at Yahoo.com
Tue May 21 12:14:22 CDT 2002

> Thanks. Now, I must must setup my IDE CD-RW to operate as a
> scsi device.

I also ran into this very confusing setup (too many fields with no or limited
instructions, assumtions that you're familiar with SCSI interfaces, no help
for SCSI on top of IDE.)   Thats why I eventually switched to gtoaster.  It
also has a similar 20-30 field setup dialog box (and no more help than
x-cdroast,) BUT it also has a [SCAN BUS] button in this dialog which
autofilled all the values for my writer.

The only issue I ran into is that the mandrake 8 version of gtoaster can't
understand all versions of mp3, and it doesn't always warn me if it doesn't.
I occasionally end up with audio discs with 60 minutes of silence. The tracks
are the correct length, but no sound. This has occured about 2% of the time.
These same MP3's play fine on kde media player and my MP3 compatible DVD
player. I'm assuming that upgrading to mandrake 8.2 will solve some of this.

Oh, and mandrake by default requires root level authorization to access a
removable media device for writing. I think this is an excellent thing.  You
will either have to burn using root (I use the su command) or edit your user
accounts to allow access to the burner.

gtoaster is on mandrake 8.0 download edition.. I assume its on 8.1 as well...
 good luck.)