[NTLUG:Discuss] ethernet connection and file transfer woes...

davep davep at mrsungo.com
Tue Jun 4 08:48:54 CDT 2002

Hi - need some help

I'm running Redhat 7.3 and trying to transfer files on my internal
network. The problem I have occurs consistently whether I am transferring
to/from a WinXP machine or an OSX machine. Problem occurs using samba, ftp
or atalkd. What happens is that after a non-specific amount of time, the
connection dies. I've tested it repeatedly and it does not seem to occur
after a certain amount of time or data transferred. It also does not
depend on how much data I'm transferring or what type of files I am
transferring. What happens is the Redhat machine loses the ethernet
connection -  no route to host. I cannot get to anything on the internal
network, or beyond the router. When I look thru the samba logs I see lots
of connection reset by peer events occurring at the time of the dropped
signal. When I look at the messages file I see this at the time of the
drop:

Jun  4 06:22:58 waynemanor kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed
out
Jun  4 06:23:30 waynemanor last message repeated 4 times
Jun  4 06:24:10 waynemanor last message repeated 5 times

Someone had suggested the problem might exist with my eth0 settings. Here
is my modules.conf:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 tulip
alias sound-slot-0 es1371
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - having all my machines
networked is not so much fun when I can't transfer anything between them.

Thanks in advance,
dave