[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: Samba, WINS support and smbclient not using wins.

Richard Geoffrion ntlug at rain4us.net
Wed Sep 11 08:35:25 CDT 2002

Kyle Davenport <Kyle_Davenport at compusa.com> wrote:
>>> Try adding "wins" to the "hosts:" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>>
>> Thanks for the stab!  You know I did try that...but it didn't seem
>> to have any effect.  I'm not even sure that I'm running whatever
>> uses the nsswitch.conf file.  Do I have to figure out what NIS is
>> and run that?
>
> darn.  when it's working, you'll be able to "ping hostname" with a
> hostname that's not in DNS but is in WINS.  No I'm not using NIS.  In
> the "nsswitch.conf" man page, these are settings for libc functions -
> in this case, gethostbyname.  Any processes using it must be
> restarted if nsswitch.conf changes.

So does that mean that it SHOULD be working for me??? or does it mean that
this is a case where the server should be rebooted? (I have NO idea what
process could be using the nsswitch.conf)

Does this work for you?  Can you ping a WINS hostname and get a reply ping?

/dev/rtcg
rtcg {at} richardthecomputerguy d()t nospam-com