[NTLUG:Discuss] Linux Kernel Parameters and Oracle8i

Fred James fredjame at concentric.net
Fri Sep 27 06:56:20 CDT 2002

(Running RH 7.2)
Oracle sets requirements for Shared Memory and Semaphores as
SHMMAX - 0.5 * (physical memory present in machine)  - Used to indicate
maximum allowable size.
        Note: Check system for additional restrictions.
SHMMIN - 1
SHMMNI - 100
SHMSEG - 10

SEMMMNI - 100
SEMMSL - set to 10 plus largest PROCESSES parameter of any Oracle
database on the system
SEMMNS - set to sum of the PROCESSES parameter for each Oracle database
SEMOPH - 100
SEMVMX - 32767

Oracle suggest editing .../include/asm/shmpharam.h and
.../include/linux/sem.h, then recompile and reboot.

I have installed 8i on another *nix, and found that these parameters
didn't need to be changed or set because the OS had been "improved" by
the vendor since Oracle made its specifications, and it makes all of
these allocations dynamically.

Does anyone know if this is the case with RH 7.2?  Or do you think I am
going to have to make these setting manually?

Thank you in advance for any advice, direction, or insight, you may offer.

--
small is beautiful