[NTLUG:Discuss] interpreting dhcpc info.

Richard Geoffrion ntlug at rain4us.net
Fri Nov 15 16:32:11 CST 2002

Chuck Graf <cfgraf at swbell.net> wrote:
> Ron Hamilton, you mentioned dynamic hosting with a non-static IP
> address.  I have the same problem. My IP changes at random intervals
> on Southwestern Bell ADSL.  I have a script running in cron.hourly
> that checks to see if my IP has changed, and emails me the new
> address when it does, but that is not as good as what you describe.
> How does the Dynamic Hosting work?

Dynamic hosting works by having a client (your server) notify the DNS server
of it's ip address so that the records can be updated dynamically.  This
usually means that one must become a host name on someone else's domain
name.  Check out hn.org for more information and possibilities.

> Also, Richard Geoffrion, does running the re-dhcpcd script every hour
> maintain your same address?  That would be a help also, if it works.

One of the command line parameters of dhcpcd is that you can request an ip
address using the '-s 1.2.3.4' option.

I have since created a new script to maintain my connection.  Usually the
script will just idle...but lately things in the land of AT&T(now
AT&T/Comcast) have been rocky.

(I'm going to attach the script so that it preserves long lines.)

-Richard