[NTLUG:Discuss] RedHat Server setup

Jack Snodgrass jack+ntlug at mylinuxguy.net
Sat Jan 4 15:06:19 CST 2003

... sorry if this is a dupe.... I had my first post rejected
because of my email address....

> I want to do an install of RedHat 8.0.  I have a couple of
> questions.
>
> * I want the system to run as a server, but, I also want to
> access it using a GUI interface.  Should I use the
> workstation, server, or custom setup?  I have setup the
> using the server option before, and it did not setup the
> GUI for me.

I always do custom. You can select the X stuff and server
stuff that you want.

Just don't plan on installing once. ;) Try a couple of
different installs and see what you get. The GUI install
stuff is pretty simple now.

After you've installed your stuff, you can do a
rpm -q -a | sort > rpm.installed
and get a list of all of the packages that were installed.
You can then uninstall the things you don't need ( IPv6,
yptools, etc ) RPM will usually ( but not 100% ) prevent
you from deleting something that you need.

(I also always do my own apache/php/mysql/etc. I don't
like relying on the rpms.)

> * Which GUI do you recommend, KDE or GNome?  Why?

as far as a GUI goes....
For a server... why do you want a gui. Command line
is the way to go.

Of course on my server, it's a server/desktop so I
have a GUI installed.

In the past... I was of the mind that Linux is for servers
and windows is for end users. Gnome/Ximian/Evolution/Mozilla
has caused me to changed my mind. I use Gnome/Ximian/Evolution/Mozilla
almost exclusivly now.

> * I have two ethernet cards in the system.  eth0 (the WAN)
> I want to specify the address.  But, eth1 is supporting the
> LAN, and I want users to connect to this system using
> DHCP.  When setting up the eth1 card on a server that
> will ultimately run the dhcpd daemon, do I specify a
> specific address (192.168.whatever) or do I tell the system
> to use bootp/dhcp to retrieve the address.  This is the
> gateway machine.  I am inclined to think it should be
> specified.

not 100% clear on your question.

My box has eth0 connected to a cable modem. It gets it's Address from the
charter dhcpd server.

My eth1 supports my home network. I run a dhcpd server for the 192.168.x.x
addresses.

I also run pdnsd ( proxy dns ) which is pretty usefull. I don't
have to run a full blown DNS and can act as a DNS server for my
local addresses.

Not sure if that will help or not.

jack