[NTLUG:Discuss] irc.openprojects.net

terry linux at cowtown.net
Wed Jan 22 06:34:08 CST 2003

Ron Hamilton wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 07:41:55PM -0600, terry wrote:
>

>>aw wrote:
>>

>>>most of the irc server are under the attack of Dos. I am also trying to to
>>>get in but no sucesss.
>>>
>>>aw
>>>

>>Dos ?
>>

>Uh, yeah, dos.. you know.. like ms dos. yeah, that's it.. people are
>trying to use msdos on irc and it's just not working...
>
>Ok, in case you *really* don't know what he meant, he was saying DOS
>d.o.s.  denile of service.. this and other acronyms can be found at
>www.acronymfinder.com

Okay, I'm really confused now...
 MS DOS as in Microsoft Disk Operating System?
or
d.o.s. as in denile of service   ???

Sounds like two different acronyms that have little or nothing to do
with each other.  (I don't see the relationship or what your trying to
tell me here.)

Although I've heard of a denial of service attack, I'm not clear on what
it is.  I envision it as just repeatedly pinging a server or something
to that effect.  Right?  If so, is that what's happening here? And if
so, why on earth would anyone do something like that?  What on earth
could they gain from doing it?

BTW, tnx for the link:  http://www.acronymfinder.com/   ... very helpful
info.