[NTLUG:Discuss] Moving to the area

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Sat Mar 8 10:12:25 CST 2003

Tim Riker wrote:

> Heh, just played a game of TuxKart for kicks. Nice job Steve. Now it
> needs networking and mouse input. ;-)

Yeah - actually, I have a networked version (of a sort) - but it doesn't
have the necessary extrapolation routines to cope with low data rates,
so it's really only usable across a LAN.

The other (really serious) problem with it is that there is no code
to determine which computer drives which computer-controlled players.

The worst problem of all is that items you can pick up on the track
get picked up differently on the various machines on the network -
which can lead to some very bizarre happenings.

Basically, the work to do it properly is non-trivial.  It really
needs a central server rather than just a set of connected games
and going that way is a major rewrite.

Mouse input would be pretty simple to add - nobody asked for it
before though - I think most people are using a joystick to play
it.  It's a MUCH better game with a joystick.

My 12 yr old son is hacking TuxKart to allow different vehicles to
be used on different level of the game - with the idea of adding a
snowmobile level (for example).

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker at link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net