[NTLUG:Discuss] High speed access.

Bug Hunter bughuntr at one.ctelcom.net
Sun Mar 9 16:09:54 CST 2003

  Once comment about SWBell DSL, from personal experience.  Your mileage
may vary.

   I came under attack by several robot windows machines on the internet.
This flooded my network with packets.  I called SWBell on a weekend to try
to get it resolved, and got a polite "Monday is the earliest."

  Monday, I was told I had to email a certain person within their
department, as this was a "privacy" issue, and they could not stop the
attack on my network until I did so.  Even after contacting my rep (this
was for a company), they still refused to do anything about the network
attack, due to "privacy" concerns.  One question I had was "how do I get
email out if my network is 100% saturated?"

  Their DSL was disconnected the next day, and I haven't gone back to
them.

   Their refusal to take steps on a weekend, and their refusal to help
when directly spoken to on the phone made up my mind.  I was even polite
during the whole exchange.  You don't try to hack off someone that will
eventually stop a network attack.  Unfortunately, a polite request did no
good.

  Note that I had provisioned the router to drop the packets at the DSL
interface, but the bandwith was still 100% utilized up to that router.
This turned a DSL pipe into something useless.

bug