[NTLUG:Discuss] Moving to the area

MadHat madhat at unspecific.com
Mon Mar 10 09:31:56 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 08:23, Rev. wRy wrote:
> Tim Riker wrote:
>
> > Now that would let the cat out of the bag wouldn't it? ;-)
>
> Curiosity and all. ;)
>
> > Are you using "Yahoo" as the ISP then? Any catches? Are there other
> > options?
>
> I actually guess I am, but I've had this line for about 2 years - long
> before the Yahoo/SWB partnership.

The partnership is just for content and hosting of the mail, not with
the actual service itself.

> I've had no problems running servers (mail/ssh/web/ftp) and a cursory
> glance at their options page shows this, which is probably more to your
> liking:
>
> Deluxe - S Package
> 768Kbps-1.5Mbps Down
> 256Kbps Up
> 5 Static
> $79.95/mo

This is what I have at home, but they only charge me $75.  I have had
SBC DSL for about 7 months now and have had 0 outages.  Can't say as
much for the ATTBI I had before, but as always YMMV.

> > What's the latency? Here's a quick "mtr av.com" from here:
> And from here:
>
> pogox.org                         Mon Mar 10 08:06:49 2003
> Keys:  D - Display mode    R - Restart statistics    Q - Quit
>                                           Packets               Pings
> Hostname
> 16. altavista.com                    0%   12   12    78   65   73   78

My times are the same or better.  I am in Downtown Dallas now though.

> [note: above edited for formatting purposes only]
>
> > Will they do RDNS for you?
>
> I *want* to say it's automagically created when you get your block - I
> could be wrong on that though.  I haven't had to make a call to support
> since long before yahoo came into the picture, so I'm not sure how clued
> in their techs are now, but in the past (while they didn't officially
> support *nix) I had no problems finding techs with clues.

I was not able to get them to set rdns, but all I did was ask when they
were setting it up and I didn't push to hard at the time.  I didn't care
enough.  I know they will for business class, but not sure for
residential.

--
MadHat at Unspecific.com
`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.