[NTLUG:Discuss] OT - Frys Open

Greg Edwards greg at nas-inet.com
Mon Apr 21 13:24:13 CDT 2003

rmoncello at attbi.com wrote:
> Two comments. . .
>
> 1)  I work part-time for Best Buy as PC service tech.  They aren't sooo bad.
> They just don't carry some of the component level stuff we all like to buy. :)

Just to clarify my earlier statement.  CompUSA, BestBuy, and IMS are the
only computer retailers near me (Coppell), except a RadioShack that just
opened here in town.

I have no problems with IMS or BestBuy as retailers.  The problem with
them is in selection.  Virtually no components at BestBuy and small
selection unless you order from IMS.  For basic parts such as 3Com NICS,
floppy & CD Rom drives IMS is great.  I get HDs from BestBuy because of
price.  If I have to order anyway I'd just  as soon have it show up at
my office.

The problems I have with CompUSA is attitude by the floor staff, pricing
isn't that good, and a general bias toward Intel and M$ products.  It
feels like they are a subsidiary of M$.  The floor staff spends too much
time trying to impress me with their knowledge and most of the time they
get it wrong.  Like telling me that AMD didn't produce 2 different
versions of the XP2200+ cpu.  When I do talk to someone that knows their
stuff it's a pleasant surprise.

--
Greg Edwards
New Age Software, Inc. - http://www.nas-inet.com