[NTLUG:Discuss] tri-boot SuSE/Redhat/Windlows

Darin W. Smith darin_ext at darinsmith.net
Wed May 14 17:02:55 CDT 2003

You will need to make the lilo.conf file on both distributions match to
make running lilo from both of them work nicely.

On the other hand, you could choose just one distribution to manage your
lilo with, though that might cause an extra reboot when you update kernels
on the one you aren't controlling it with.

In other words, whatever lilo.conf file is having lilo run against it must
have entries for all the images you want to be able to choose on the next
boot.  It shouldn't matter which distribution you run it from as long as it
has the proper entries.  Just remember it will always reference the
lilo.conf from the distribution you're running it from, unless you've told
it otherwise.

If you have some filesystem that you will be mounting from both
distributions, then you might want to put it there, and instruct lilo (on
both systems) to look there for the lilo.conf file.

For example:
Let's say I have a filesystem that I will mount as /share regardless of
which distribution I'm in.  I would then store my lilo.conf in that
filesystem (rather than /etc) and invoke lilo (from either distribution)
with:

lilo -C /share/lilo.conf

IMO, that would be the cleanest way to do it with LILO.

I use GRUB these days, so that would be a little different.

D!

On Wed, 14 May 2003 16:13:37 -0500, Steve Martindell
<steve.martindell at microchip.com> wrote:

> I use lilo to dual boot from hda into Winblows or hdb into
> SuSE Linux.
>
> I want to add Redhat to hda by shrinking the Windows partition.
> Will a new version of Redhat(8.x) work with the existing lilo/MBR
> that SuSE has set up?
>
> In otherwords, when Redhat asks "do I want to use lilo", will it
> see the existing lilo/MBR stuff that SuSE has already configured
> and just add another entry to the existing lilo selections?
> or,
> will it try to over-write the existing MBR and mess up the existing
> lilo?
> -steve

D!
Darin W. Smith