[NTLUG:Discuss] OT: multiple routers question

Darin W. Smith darin_ext at darinsmith.net
Fri May 23 10:18:16 CDT 2003

Speaking of routing, I have an issue, not Linux-specific.

At my workplace, we have a corporate account with an ISP that gives us 2
static IP's.  They allow and expect us to have our own firewalls and
routers behind those IPs.

Up until this week, we have been using only one of those IPs, going through
an old SMC Barricade router.

Due to limitations with the number of Cisco VPN connections we can
simultaneously make, we decided to use the second IP with another router,
splitting off a few machines onto a different IP subnet.

So we now have:

                    DSL

                   switch
external IP1---------|-------------external IP2
   |                                   |
 SMC Barricade                       new router
  (10.10.11.2)                      (10.10.12.1)
   |                                   |
   |                                   |
   |----------------  -----------------|
                   |  |
                  switch

                   LAN

Everything works great, except that the new router (a DLink 604)
periodically loses the ability to communicate to the outside
world...however, we can ping and traceroute through it to hit external IP1
on the barricade.  And when we do that, the whole outside world comes back.

Thinking we just got a defective DLink, I went out and picked up the
cheapest Linksys (one of their "network anywhere" brands) router.

I set it up and it works great for about 45 minutes, then we lose the
outside world again.  With the Linksys, while it can ping external IP2,
that doesn't restore the connection to the outside world.  Only a reset of
the router does that.  It's like the ISP's router just begins to deny
traffic from it until we give it a reset.  We've tried a hub in place of
the switch that takes the routers to the DSL modem, with the same effect.

No traffic seems to be affected going through the SMC Barricade.  I've
noticed that the new routers (both cheapos) get very warm.  I'm theorizing
that the little ARM processors in them are getting overheated.  I guess I
can put a fan blowing over one to see if that helps.

Or, am I doing something totally wrong with the network architecture (and
why would it affect only the new router)?  Or could there be a
configuration issue on the ISP's router upstream of us?

D!

--
D!
Darin W. Smith