[NTLUG:Discuss] DHCP/Ntp.conf issue

Stephen Davidson gorky at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Oct 29 06:53:57 CST 2003

Greetings.

Whenever I connect my computer via DHCP to a network, my /etc/ntp.conf file gets overwritten (generally with a totally useless "loopback" clock).  The original file gets saved, and is restored once my network connections are
terminated.  Needless to say, this does bad things to my system clock.

Questions:
Is there a way to get the DHCP server to send a valid ntp.conf file?  I was unable to find anything in the Man pages on this. I have admin access to the DHCP servers on two of the networks, so can put this in myself in those
cases.
If there is not a way to get this file sent from the DHCP server, is it possible to disable this behaviour on a SuSE 8.2 client?

Regards,
Steve

--
Java/J2EE Developer/Integrator