cheap san was (E: [NTLUG:Discuss] File Size Limit)

Alfred Dayton linux at adayton.com
Fri Nov 21 14:38:14 CST 2003

I just found possibly the answer.  Some numbers:

http://www.audiomidi.com/classroom/hardware/drives_2_ide.cfm
Throughput
Since the introduction of these drives specifications they have increased
the throughput of these ATA standards.
ATA/66
ATA/66 can be of any drive protocol but allows a maximum bust rate of up to
66MB a second. To implement ATA/66 your motherboard and your hard drive must
support ATA/66
ATA/100
ATA/100 just like ATA/66 can be of any drive protocol but can burst up to a
maximum of 100MB a second. To implement ATA/100 your motherboard and your
hard drive must support ATA/100. There are third party PCI cards available
that you can install on your computer that will allow you to run ATA/100
drives on your computer. These are very similar to SCSI cards and can also
be used in Macs.
This would seem to indicate that the present limiting factor is the Box B
ata66 drive subsystem.  So perhaps

the answer is to go with gb nics and switch with a new linux Box B with
either the new serial ATA or

Even the previous ATA 133??  disk drive subsystem.  In the interim perhaps
like the information indicates,

The purchase of a third party ATA 100 PCI controller card?

What arre your thoughts?

Alfred