[NTLUG:Discuss] PPP server issues....

Douglas King daking at dak1.net
Mon Feb 9 22:51:39 CST 2004

I am wanting to set up PPP (dial up) server.  I loaded a RH 8.0 machine,
and it is now configured, BUT am having the following problems:

1) Cannot dial in using the PPP protocol.  The server rejects the login
request...bad username

2)  Does not "issue" an IP address for the user.

3) Obviously, because of no IP...it's not going out to the web either.

I have a couple of external USR 56K modems.....the modems ARE answering the
line...just not doing much after that.  :-(

The protocol it will answer is IF the Windows client is set up for a Unix
login.

Remember...fairly new Linux user...need details on what need to be done.