[NTLUG:Discuss] Linux AntiVirus

Kyle Davenport Kyle_Davenport at compusa.com
Fri Feb 13 10:35:51 CST 2004

From: kbrannen at gte.net
>>     As to the question of a Virus or Worm causing problems on a Linux
>> system, while it's theoretically possible to make a linux virus, in
>> practice, you will never see one. Part of the problem is most people
>> don't even know what a virus is, but I will spare y'all the boring
>> details. This is the best accounting of virus's I came across:
>>
>>             Linux     Windows
>> Viruses     30     70,000
>> Worms       70     100,000
>> Trojans    130     300,000
>> (Trogans: hard to restrict because a trojan could be defined as any
>> executable which does something you don't want it to.)
>>
>> Of course, the linux virus's were mostly lab creations which never
>> entered the "wild". (quoted from previous post here, on DFWLUG:Discuss)>
>
> I'll agree with "linux virus's were mostly lab creations".  If you
believe the
> link above, there have been 2 linux viruses, pretty lame ones too.
>
> Where do the above stats come from?  I mean really, 30 viruses for linux?
> really find that hard to believe.  I've been working with Linux for 10
years,
> why haven't I heard about even 1 of them before now?  And I know there
are a
> LOT of viruses for the Winders people, but 70K?  I wonder how many of
those
> are the same ones with a different name.  FWIW, I'm not sure I trust the
stats
> from the anti-virus companies; afterall, they survive on fear-mongering.
>
> Not sure I believe the linux worm or trojan numbers being that high
either,
> but I have an easier time believing there are some of those around.
There's a
> pretty nasty hole or two in PHP, or some I've been reading about on the
> security lists.
>
> I wonder if they put "remote cracks" in those numbers.  I'd hope not;
that
> should be category/row 4.
>
> Kevin

Stats from me.  Sorry, I didn't expect an inquisition.  I went to some
trouble (because of a previous argument)  to scour the web on this subject.
I went to all the Virus Software sites, and the security sites, and read
the best reviews of the issue I could find.  I considered their arguments
and looked at their evidence for linux viruses, worms, etc.  So, sorry, no
links but I was just trying to convince myself.   There are so many viruses
for windows because tiny mutations are enough to make new viruses - all
they have to do is escape the digital signatures the virus scanners are
looking for.  [ Yet another indication of how insane Window's security is ]

Yes I would like to see that "remote crack" line too.

Kyle