[NTLUG:Discuss] Slow to access local named virtual host URLs

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Sun Apr 4 20:00:59 CDT 2004

Hello:

This is strange.

On RedHat 9, this did not seem to be a problem but
it seems to be a problem on Fedora Core 1.

I am finding that when I try to load a URL that
goes to a virtual host on the same server it takes a
LONG time (about 10 secs) to load.   If I use a URL
that does not require resolving the named virtual host,
the URL loads very fast (milliseconds).

This only happens when I try to load the url from the machine
itself.  If I try to load the URL remotely, the URLs load
fast.

For example, on my server that hosts www.JAMMConsulting.com
also hosts www.futurescope.com which uses name based virtual
hosting.

When I execute this command on the command line of the
machine:
lynx http://www.JAMMConsulting.com
it loads fast.

When I execute this command:
lynx http://www.futurescope.com
it loads very slowly.

But, if I load this url:
lynx http://127.0.0.1/~fscope
it loads fast.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, JAMM Consulting, (972)612-6056, www.JAMMConsulting.com
FREE! Valuable info on how your business can reduce operating costs by