[NTLUG:Discuss] VMWare and Wireless Laptop

Ed Coates edcoates at nighthawk.dyndns.org
Mon May 24 12:41:51 CDT 2004

Hi All,

I've got a bit of a problem with VMWare and my laptop.  I have a Dell
laptop with 1.7GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, a built in Gigabit card, and a
built in Wireless card.  It currently runs WinXP for work and I have
VMWare loaded with SuSE 9.0.

The problem is that when I'm at home and have the VMWare machine running
it's bridged to the wireless NIC and intermittently loses all network
connection.  It can't ping or talk to anything on the LAN.  It'll regain
connection for about half a minute or so, but then loses it again.  This
happens over and over again to a point that having it on the network is
useless.

Has anyone run up against this type of problem with VMWare before?  When
it's plugged directly into the WAP, there's no network problems, and WinXP
doesn't suffer the same symptoms when it's wireless.

Ed