[NTLUG:Discuss] Debian hard drive crankiness

Jack Snodgrass jack at jacksnodgrass.com
Thu Jun 17 13:09:24 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 12:58, Moses McKnight wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  I have been somewhat confused by anacron vs. cron and
> didn't know quite where to look.
I think that anacron runs cron stuff that didn't run because your
box was down when it was supposed to run the first time... i.e.
you have a 1am task that is supposed to run but you should down
your box at 11pm and restart at 8am... anacron will run the 1am tasks
for you... something like that. My box is up 24/7 so I don't run
anacron.

as for not running updatedb/slocate... this is needed for the
locate command to work. I use locate a lot, so I want my
updatedb to run. If you never use the locate command, then
you don't need the updatedb tasks. you can always manually
run updatedb before you run a locat command, but it will take
a while to finish before you can run the locate command.

you can do something like
locate iso | grep "\.iso"
to find all of the .iso files on your system. This is a fast
query since all of the file names and paths are stored in a
db. if you had 500Gig of drives and did a
find / -type f | grep "\.iso"
it would take a while.

jack