[NTLUG:Discuss] Wireless Home Network

Lance Simmons lance at lsimmons.net
Fri Jun 25 12:19:23 CDT 2004

* Lance Simmons <lance at lsimmons.net> [040623 13:48]:
> * terry <kj5zr at yahoo.com> [040623 13:22]:
> > You could go through a couple of sheetrock walls but the distance
> > will be shorter.
>
> That's what I wanted to hear!  Thanks, everyone!  I'm going to give it
> a try.

Reporting back:  I went with the d-link (atheros-based) cards and
router.  Compiling the modules was simple enough.  I had to do it for
each machine, because they are all different (P2, P4, Athlon, with some
of them smp).

I'm using the wireless router only to connect to my internal network; I
don't want a wireless router to be the first thing a potential intruder
encounters.  Also, this way I can place the wireless router anywhere in
the house I want, thus expanding coverage.  I'm thinking about the
attic.

Is that a stupid idea?  Would the Texas heat kill a wireless router?
Has anyone done it?

--
Lance Simmons