[NTLUG:Discuss] Wireless Home Network

Randall Gibson wabbit at tvec.net
Sat Jun 26 10:23:41 CDT 2004

Lance Simmons wrote:

>Considered in the abstract, the security of a wireless router is no
>doubt greater than the security of a pc/firewall.  But I live in a house
>that's pretty well separated from the other houses on my street, and so
>far I've only been able to get wireless access through about half the
>house.  Someone who wants to attack my wireless network has to be
>physically near my house.

You may think that your safe since you cannot get a good signal
throughout your house, but anyone that was looking to connect to random
wireless networks is probably a little better equipped. Most pcmcia
cards that are bought are 30-40 mw. You can but high powered ones, from
places like http://www.demarctech.com/ where I got a 300 mw card.
Attaching a external, directional antenna, you can get some very good
ranges. I use this setup to connect to many open networks while I drive
around throughout the day. FYI, I do not break any protection. I
normally use places that actually offer free service. Hotels, coffee
shops, businesses....