[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: Distributing users via NIS -- homedirs, ypcat output, ypbind'ing

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Aug 7 00:08:41 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 00:15, Minh Duong wrote:
> All three are running on both slave and master

I can't remember if you want to be running yppasswdd on the
slave?  Not sure.  Wouldn't have anything to do with your issue
though.

> I have copied the home directories.

Are the permissions accurate?
Did you "cp" (bad things man, bad things ;-)?
Or did you either "find|cpio -p" or "tar c|tar x" (better)?

> Thanks for everything but still not working. Any more
> ideas?

Well, to start over:

A)  Check ypbind'ing on the clients/servers:
  $ ypwhich

B)  Check output of the NIS maps:
  $ ypcat passwd
  $ ypcat group
  $ ypcat hosts

We'll go from there.

-- Bryan "yet another dumb ass degreed engineer" Smith

P.S.  I gotta get "up-to-date" with IDMap daemon (idmapd) in FC 2.
Seems like the new user-space NFS v4 and Samba 3 all support it, so
maybe it's OpenLDAP+Kerberos for now on.  But I still like NIS (kinda
like the NT 4 PDC/BDC approach, only 15 years older!), and Kerberosized
authentication removes the network-viewable password hash issue.

--
Engineers scoff at me because I have IT certifications
 IT Pros scoff at me because I am a degreed engineer
Bryan J. Smith                      b.j.smith at ieee.org