[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: FYI -- double-standards? (oh why do people post these?)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Aug 29 18:04:52 CDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 15:51, terry wrote:
> This us just my opinion, and don't want or expect any replies, just FYI:
> No reply / comment  expected, needed, or wanted.

Why is it that people think they can comment on a pet peeve or
assumingly "good ettique" and then say they don't want any replies?

It's a double-standard and quite hypocritical to even post such.  And
it's just as much of a distraction, etc... -- even more so because it's
done with what I would consider selfish arrogance.

One thing you won't see me doing is commenting on the posting ettique of
others.  I take the time to edit and modify posts, add _after_ the
subject line (which is highly recommended by Google, O'Reilly and many
others, while not affecting any subject sorting), etc...  But I don't
expect others to.  It's not a big deal.

In fact, people seem to differ, that's the _only_constant_.  Worse yet,
when someone finds themselves getting frustrated with me, they tell me
to do something other what Google and O'Reilly says is good.  I'm not
changing merely because they had some sort of "issue" with it.

I won't lecture on others who top/bottom post.  And I most definitely
will _not_ tell people not to post regarding something I just said.
They are free to comment, delete, killfile, etc...  People will post as
they post and I'm not going to change them by singling them out on the
list.  God knows some of the people who complain the most are typically
not the ones who are "squeaky clean" either (myself included).

Yes, because *1* person in a thread top-posted, the entire list is
treated to this.  It's funny to see these posts, because they themselves
only distract the entire list in themselves.  Worse yet, they begin a
tangent that is quite unnecessary.

*** IN A NUTSHELL:  Take it up with the person off-list. ***

What he did caused me to not even consider what you posted.
Furthermore, what he did would not cause me to post and then say, "oh,
just listen to me, but don't respond."  Why do people do this?

The only time I comment is like this, pointing it out.  This, of course,
makes me just as hypocritical, arrogant and wrong as the poster.  But
I'll freely admit it.  Although that means I'm no better.

Just IMAO (in my arrogant opinion ;-).  Feel free to bash this post.  I
won't be offended.  My apologies in advance for stinking the list up.

--
Compatibility and update matrix of Red Hat(R) distributions:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org