[NTLUG:Discuss] RE: HDTV, broadcast flag, ...

Burton Strauss Burton_Strauss at comcast.net
Fri Dec 3 06:56:37 CST 2004

(I'm NOT a lawyer, but...)

With a cell phone, it's right there in the contract - a
termination/cancellation penalty (that just about happens to match the
subsidy - gee).  When I bought my TiVo there wasn't anything about that -
you just didn't get the rebate unless you contracted for TiVo service.

Read the contract of sale for the TiVo.  There probably are restrictions for
the TiVo software (intellectual property), which is licensed not sold, so
you couldn't for example copy and sell the software.  But, unless there are
restrictions in the contract of sale, you can do anything you like with
physical property.

-----Burton