[NTLUG:Discuss] Looking for decent broadband service

Ed Coates edcoates at nighthawk.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 7 14:24:22 CST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Stuart Johnston wrote:

> Brian Kontrath wrote:
>>
>> considering leaving Comcast  for Verizon  DSL service.  Unfortunately, I
>> don't know much about the cost or  reliability of dsl versus cable.
>
> Generally, DSL is considered to be more reliable than cable but of course it
> is not perfect and can be affected by unpredictable factors. If you already
> pay for phone service, DSL is usually cheaper than cable.
>
>> I also don't know how well dsl works with Linux.   Can anyone give me any
>> tips?
>
> The cheaper DSL service levels usually use PPPoE which is supported by Linux
> but will probably require at least a little more effort than a standard
> ethernet connection.

I was with Verizon DSL for about a year, then switched to Comcast for
financial reasons.  I can say that it was easy to setup.  They use DHCP,
and all I had to do was configure eth1 through yast (SuSE) and it worked
like a charm.  The only downside is, that if you're having problems, and
need to contact tech support, they don't speak Linux, and you have to pull
the wool over their eyes and pretend that you're running Windows.

Ed