[NTLUG:Discuss] generic IDE

Johnny Cybermyth djcybermyth at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 24 10:49:08 CDT 2005

Can anyone recommend a good generic IDE.  I'm programming embedded C and
want to call my compiler from within the IDE and get all of the output
back.    I also want file/buffer tabs for multiple file editing and the
ability to open multiple file in a group(usually called a project or
workspace).  Of course, I'd like syntax highlighting and intelligent
indentation.  I don't need anything like gtk widget support or graphical
interface generation support.  Just editing text files and producing a
output hex file.

This is all normal IDE stuff, but I haven't found one that works for me
yet.  Gedit doesn't support projects and the shell plugin just flat
doesn't work.  SciTE is good in windows but the linux version doesn't
support tabs and is very tedious to configure simple things like font size.

I was thinking about going back to emacs, but I thought that there would
be a more modern solution out there.