[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: Installing Linux on Dell PowerEdge server

tr_data1 tr_data1 at ev1.net
Fri Jun 3 08:29:51 CDT 2005

> [Install Linux on Dell PowerEdge 1850: Is Dell Server Admin s/w needed?]

A few months ago, I installed RedHat 9.1(?) on the few Dell 1650 machines
we have. I don't know the differences between the 1650 and your 1850,
so I'd get a 2nd opinion.

If there is nothing of value on the HDs, why not just try to install Linux?
Especially if the machine is under warranty and doesn't have any fine-
print saying you can't wipe the drives. Even so, you could image backup
the drives first. BTW, my installs went without problems and I partitioned
the whole drive space with Linux.

Now a word of caution. My exposure to Dell blades are limited to the 1650
at this company: === BACK UP ALL IMPORTANT DATA REGULARLY ===.
This should be SOP for any system of importance, of course. We've had
2 of the 3 Dell blades experience HD failure (prior to Linux). Perhaps they
weren't treated very nice. Our group mostly get hand-me-downs. In any
case, do have a decent backup plan and follow it.

The blade I personally avoid are the Compaq DL 360 boxes. The PS fan
fails often. If you have 360 blades, be sure to have some spare PS fans!
=TR=