[NTLUG:Discuss] Mac v. Linux

Kyle Davenport Kyle_Davenport at compusa.com
Fri Jun 10 09:46:26 CDT 2005

*** Authentication Certificate ***

from madhat at unspecific.com:
>>   And, just in case MadHat is watching, it runs Linux fine.
>
>I was wondering when or if I should  step in...  this one is drifting...

just to drift a little more - I was wondering if everyone realized that
both the windows and apple platforms would be much further behind - and
probably linux even further ahead, if they hadn't been able to "steal" BSD
code.  "Steal" in quotes because it's freely licensed - and frankly that's
exactly the problem.  I'm glad the GPL has prevented the behemoths from
stealing linux code - and thanks a whole h___ of a lot to the BSD
programmers for doing free R&D for M$.  In the case of Windows, it appears
to be both OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  From the Anandtech article (referenced
earlier), OS X seems to have used FreeBSD - and poorly at that.

I am very sad to see the powerpc lose market share.  It has a lot of
potential, but it will never be realized because of IBM's inadequate
support for powerpc-specific programmers and compilers.  We use some AIX
boxes at my company, but only for big, cost-regardless, projects, and even
then, the poor commercial app's running on them drag.

Kyle