[NTLUG:Discuss] GUI recomendations

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Mon Aug 29 23:15:48 CDT 2005

Jay Urish wrote:
> I know this will probably touch off a small flame war,
>
> As I get closer to dumping WinBlows and going 100% Linux, I am
> confronted with a myriad of choices for my X environment.
>
> So far I have lightly looked at
>
> KDE
>
> Gnome
>
> WindowMaker
>
> Enlightenment

I'll stay away from the subjective analysis on these.

I use KDE...  Why?  Because it's the preferred/default (currently)
desktop for SUSE Pro.

If I were using Red Hat (Fedora), I'd use Gnome because that
is the preferred/default desktop for that distribution.

For me, the choice is often that which is best supported/integrated
by the distribution vendor.  Something to consider.