[NTLUG:Discuss] GUI recomendations

Greg Edwards greg at nas-inet.com
Wed Aug 31 21:45:04 CDT 2005

Chris Cox wrote:

> I'll stay away from the subjective analysis on these.
>
> I use KDE...  Why?  Because it's the preferred/default (currently)
> desktop for SUSE Pro.
>
> If I were using Red Hat (Fedora), I'd use Gnome because that
> is the preferred/default desktop for that distribution.
>
> For me, the choice is often that which is best supported/integrated
> by the distribution vendor.  Something to consider.

Point well stated.  I started using KDE when Gnome was still very immature
and limited in features.  I've stayed with KDE mostly because MDK is based
around it, plus I really don't want to take the time to learn a new window
manager.  If I really had my choice I'd still be using CDE.  I've been
told by lots of folks that Gnome is great, and I have no doubts that it
is.  But MDK is highly integrated with KDE, and Gnome has a learning curve
for me.

If you're making the distribution choice based on the window manager, and
you haven't invested time in learning one yet, the the choice is tougher.
  As Chris put so well, just use the suggested window manager your
distribution is integrated with.  Then be happy you're free of the limited
capabilities that MS provides in theirs.

--
Greg Edwards
New Age Software, Inc. - Software Engineering Services