[NTLUG:Discuss] Anyone for a Linux port on this thing?

Peter A. Koren p.koren at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 8 15:43:00 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 14:16 -0500, lonny.dahl at verizon.com wrote:
> MadHat wrote on 09/08/2005 10:36:15 AM:

> > > It's actually been out there for awhile, but it made its way
> > > onto Slashdot again... figured some might not have seen it.
> > >
> > > I ordered 3,531 units from them, and never heard back.
> >
> > yeah, that sounds legit and worth a callback on. </sarcasm>
> >
> > So what about CES?
> > http://cesweb.org/attendees/show_floor/product_locator/
> > product_details.asp?prodid=5420
> >
> > I am not saying it is a hoax or not, I just see that some people
> > think it is, but I have not found anyone being able to prove it.  And
> > if it is a hoax, that is a lot of effort for a lame hoax.
> >

> What would lead one to believe the CES site is bogus?  I couldn't find
> anything to indicate it's anything other than legit.  Now the Atomchip
> PC...to quote Will Smith from Independence Day, "I have GOT to get me one
> of THESE!"  :o)
>
> Wayne Dahl

While I started the "hoax" charge on this group, I have no proof -- only
a deep suspicion based on a number of factors. Steve Baker quickly
jumped in with the reasons for believing that it is a hoax. Steve pretty
much covered the subject. Claiming several spectacular breakthroughs in
parallel and an upcoming product introduction of a super high tech
device just is not believable. Being based on new technology, where are
the multi billion dollar factories to churn this stuff out? And with all
of these Nobel prize size breakthroughs, where are the scientists claims
-- papers, patents, etc? It just does not pass the smell test.

-- Pete