[NTLUG:Discuss] re: partioning question

Terry trryhend at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 23:58:51 CST 2006

On 1/27/06, Fred <fredstevens at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reminders.
>
> The extra hdd is probably the way to go, especially since she had a
> power hit this a.m. and now can't start kde (init 5). / is at 99%.
> She can log in as root on a pty, so the mv should work. I just don't
> trust any repartition-on-the-fly scheme. If you give a 'puter half a
> chance, it will bite you on the butt.
>
> Thanks again,
> Fred

Okay, let's get started:

# Partition the new drive:

     As root, fdisk /dev/hdb
     [primary partition, Linux native]

# Format the new partition.

     mke2fs -cv /dev/hdb1
     [verbose output and check for bad blocks]

# Convert ext2 to ext3

       tune2fs -j /dev/hdb1

# Create tempory mount point / mount the new partition

        mkdir /mnt/hdb1
        mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

# Copy data

       cp -a /usr/* /mnt/hdb1

# Rename old /usr directory

       mv /usr /usr2

# Modify /etc/fstab.

     Add the following line to /etc/fstab:
     /dev/hdb1         /usr          ext3    defaults     1 1

# Reboot and see if it works.

#  If all is well,

       rm -rf /usr2

# Done  :)