[NTLUG:Discuss] newbie needs help w/sendmail

Greg Edwards greg at nas-inet.com
Fri Feb 10 22:20:20 CST 2006

Richard Wolfe wrote:
> Hello all...newbie here...
>

> But I just recently set up a new machine with Fedora Core 4, and this
> little bit of functionality isn't working. It looks like it's working,
> but the emails never arrive. Here's a sendmail -v example below. Can
> anyone tell, from looking at this, if it's really getting through to the
> recipient server (gmail.com, in this case) or not?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard in Fort Worth
>

> 250 2.0.0 k1AKAeJt002910 Message accepted for delivery
> rwolfe at gmail.com... Sent (k1AKAeJt002910 Message accepted for delivery)
> Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]

> 221 2.0.0 localhost.localdomain closing connection

It may have gone out but that does not mean that the other end will accept
it.  I know that if a piece of mail arrives at my server and its domain
cannot be confirmed it goes in the bit bucket.  localhost.localdomain will
not confirm across the net.

Like Chris suggested, give the host a real domainname.

--
Greg Edwards
Galactic Outlaw - The Ultimate Cyber Space Adventure