[NTLUG:Discuss] Vista & Linux installers.

Tom McDonald mickeyd at compuclaim.com
Fri Apr 20 11:42:52 CDT 2007

steve wrote:
> Well, I'm in the process of switching jobs and (sadly and with great
> reluctance) I'm going to have to cave in and do some Windows stuff.
>
> I'm planning on getting a new laptop and it's going to have to
> dual-boot.  It looks like almost every new laptop out there has
> Vista pre-installed.
>
> Do the traditional Linux installers and dual-boot setups work OK
> with Vista?  Can I just stuff a copy of SuSE 10 on a new laptop
> without worrying too much?  Grub and all that stuff "just works"?
>
>    Thanks!
>
>        Steve.

I've done this with both ACER, and Compaq laptops several times. The
only problem I had was with re-partitioning with the default SUSE-10
installer. I had to manually do a defrag in Vista, then immediately
split the partition with Partition Magic. I can't remember what the
error message was but it was the same on both brands and referred to
some type of disk corruption.

Tom

--

Tom McDonald <mickeyd at compuclaim.com>

Humor in the Court:
Q.  And lastly, Gary, all your responses must be oral.  O.K.? What
school do
    you go to?
A.  Oral.
Q.  How old are you?