[NTLUG:Discuss] OT: key tapper

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Wed Apr 25 09:48:58 CDT 2007

All
I have a computer that for reasons that are out of my control, will lock
its screen after 15 minutes of idle time.  Idle time is defined by the
absence of keystroke or mouse activity.  The lock is similar to a
screensaver lock in that it requires a password to open and it does not
shutdown any processes or sessions.

What I should like is something that could simply tap a key periodically
- say the <Ctrl> key for example.  This computer sits beside me while I
do most of my work on another, but it does have a couple of windows open
in which I monitor conditions at a remote site.  It would be very handy
to be able to just glance at these displays without having to login each
time (as was the case before this new security item - don't ask - it is
corporate).

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
Regards
Fred James

PS:  The "drinking bird" at first would seem to have been ideal except
that it has to have its head wet on each "drink" or it will stop.