[NTLUG:Discuss] [DFWUUG:Discuss] AC97 codec on HP Pavillion..

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Mon Jul 23 06:02:38 CDT 2007

Jeff had the solution! Thanks!

ls -l /proc/asound  showed nothing.

Running alsaconf created the missing magic and voila! I have SOUND! Yay!

As for windows.... I have her old HD to put on my Linux box to:

1  virus scan, that's part of what took out her old computer
2  get my wife and kids stuff off the HD and moved to the HP
3  add new software to enable them to do the things they used to do:

MySpace, YouTube and CartoonNetwork are the favs of the kids, iTunes is
the fav of the wife.

They were getting irritated because they have problems (windows98/XP)
and I don't (Slackware). Rather than live with crashes, viruses and
other issues, they finally opted to go to Linux.

Thanks everyone!

alvin