[NTLUG:Discuss] Software RAID NAS Box

David Simmons dave at dgnal.net
Wed Sep 12 10:58:30 CDT 2007

> Interesting.  So swap space should be RAID too.

Hmmm.....not sure I'd agree with this? unless you're putting the OS on
the RAID also.

Traditionally, I'll separate the OS from the
DATA...which means that the OS/SWAP will be on it's own, different Hard
drive....which means lots of times it's on it's own/different connection
(I'll use the motherboard's connections for this)....and use the RAID
card's connections just for the DATA (raid).

This is still
susceptible to the SWAP drive going out....but if the SWAP drive goes,
then that means the OS is hosed also...BUT - there's a good chance that my
DATA is still Good/Ok - just need to move the array to another seragate
mother computer....(or replace/rebuild the OS/SWAP drive)

6 one
way....1/2 dozen the other...need to determine which is better for you -
Uptime (redundancy) or quality of data.

 just some
thoughts - dave