[NTLUG:Discuss] Commercial linux support options

Thomas Cameron (Red Hat) tcameron at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 00:27:12 CDT 2007

Well, since we use 2.6.18, I think you're golden:

[tcameron at tct60 ~]$ cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`
[tcameron at tct60 2.6.18-8.1.10.el5]$ find . | grep conn
./kernel/net/netfilter/xt_connbytes.ko
./kernel/net/netfilter/xt_conntrack.ko
./kernel/net/netfilter/xt_connmark.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_pptp.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_h323.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_irc.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tftp.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_ftp.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_netlink.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_sctp.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_amanda.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_netbios_ns.ko
./kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_sip.ko

Now I have not used conntrackd so I am not 100% sure what module(s) you
need, but again, you should be able to compile modules all day long and
be just fine.

Is that helpful?

David Stanaway wrote:
> I am specifically looking at a supported kernel for a recent conntrackd
> or even better - support for conntrackd.
>
> Again - mostly just for piece of mind.
>

> Thomas Cameron (Red Hat) wrote:
>> David Stanaway wrote:
>>> Thanks for the input guys.
>>> Kind of what I thought.
>>>
>>> Novel is politically incorrect where I am at - leaves RHEL or a
>>> different vendor.
>>>
>>> How much of a pain are custom kernel builds in RHEL? Do roll your own
>>> kernels burn your support?
>> If you need something that is not in the stock kernel, we will strongly
>> recommend that you compile it as a dynamic kernel module and insert it
>> into the stock kernel.  That way if you have a problem with that module
>> it is really easy to track while you still use the fully supported Red
>> Hat provided kernel.
>>
>> Most folks who think they need a new kernel for RHEL change their mind
>> when they learn that we backport the vast majority of feature updates
>> from new kernels to the older RHEL kernels, but we do it in such a way
>> as to guarantee kernel API/ABI compatibility so your third party
>> software never knows that the kernel has changed.

- --

Thomas Cameron, RHCE, RHCI, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Solutions Architect Team Lead, Central Region
512-241-0774 office 512-585-5631 cell 512-857-1345 fax

Red Hat is going on the road. Join us in a city near you.
2007 Value 2 Tour: http://www.redhat.com/promo/value2NA/